The goal of the PhD program at IIIT Delhi is to empower students to become part of the global research ecosystem and contribute to research organizations and top-class universities worldwide. The program is based on the best practice models at top universities across the world. IIIT Delhi offers PhD programs in Computational Biology (CB), Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), Electronics and Communications Engineering (ECE), Human-Centered Design (HCD), Mathematics (Maths), and Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH).
Students qualified for UGC/CSIR JRF, DST INSPIRE, DBT Fellowship and fresh B.Tech. Graduates with research aptitude are strongly encouraged to apply. GATE score is not mandatory.
The applicants need to fulfil at least one of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for the PhD program with a CSE specialization:
- BTech/BE/MTech/MSc/M.E. in CSE/IT/ECE/EE and allied areas, with a CGPA of at least 7.5 on a 10 (or equivalent) scale or 70%.
- MCA/MSc(CSE/IT/ECE/EE and allied areas) is considered equivalent to the BTech/BE degree. Such students are eligible to apply if they have a BSc in Computer Science or BSc in any other subject with mathematics. The marks requirement is the same as given above.
- MSc in Mathematics with at least 70% marks in both BSc and MSc or 7.5 CGPA and strong inclination towards CSE/ECE.
- Regular PhD: Students who are not holding regular employment are only engaged in their academic program.
- Sponsored PhD: IIIT-Delhi allows highly motivated working professionals to pursue a PhD degree while still employed at the sponsoring organization. Click here for more details.
- Candidates can apply only through the online application portal. There is no provision for offline submission of application forms.
- If you are applying for more than one discipline, please submit a separate application for each discipline.
- After successful submission of the application form, you will receive an application number and a link to download the application form. Please save the application form. You need to furnish hardcopy of the application form and self-attested copies of all the relevant documents at the time of interview.
- Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- The application fee for Ph.D. program is as follow:
- Rs.150/- : For SC/ST/ PD candidates
- Rs.300/- : For other candidates
Note: The Institute reserves the right to call or not to call eligible candidates for the admission process.
Visit this page for more information and the important dates of the applicatiion process.
- Rolling Admissions: It is meant for candidates who have a clear idea of the area they want to work. The interested candidates are expected to interact with the concerned faculty member(s) in IIIT-Delhi and get their consent for working with him/her. However, such candidates will undergo a full selection process before being admitted to the Ph.D. program. Click here for more details.
- Regular Admissions: The regular admission happens in two cylces; once during February - April every year (for Monsoon Session) & other during September-November every year (for Winter Session).
Applications are invited from eligible candidates through an open advertisement. Admission is generally offered on the basis of an interview and/or written test, if necessary. The Institute will invite a limited number of candidates for a written test and interview based on the academic records, statement of purpose, etc. The final selection will be mainly based on academic credentials, written test and/or interview. The candidates who do not qualify in the written test need not appear for interview. The reserved category candidates will be given due relaxation in cutoff marks as per the norms.
The outstation candidates (non-NCR) who are shortlisted to appear for the written test/ interview, will be reimbursed their travel fare by second sleeper or public bus fare by the shortest route, whichever is cheapest. They will have to furnish the proof of travel. If a candidate decides to choose a different mode (e.g. 3AC, air, etc.), they will be only reimbursed the second sleeper or public transport bus fare by the shortest route.
Students joining the Ph.D. program as regular student will be considered for Institute Fellowship. Presently institute is offering fellowship at the rate of Rs.31,000/- per month in the 1st & 2nd year and Rs.35,000/- per month in 3rd & 4th year. For 5th year, fellowship is at the reduced rate that is, Rs. 30,000/- per month.
Additional Financial Support
- Support upto Rs 50k is provided towards purchase of laptop/ desktop.
- Contingency grant of Rs.10k per annum.
Institute Travel Grant
Full time Ph.D. students are encouraged to present their research work at International Conferences. Financial support of up to Rs. 2L for the entire duration of the program is available.
Overseas Research Fellowship (ORF)
Support upto US $6000 may be considered in deserving cases to conduct research collaborations with reputed Universities/Labs abroad for a period of 3 to 6 months.
- Computer Vision, Deep Learning
- Deep Leaning theory, ML for Speech/audio applications
- Computer Graphics, Computational Geometry, and AR/VR
- High-Performance Computing
- Machine Learning for Neuromarketing
- Mobile Systems
- Network Security
- NLP, Social computing, Graph mining
- Theory, Algorithms, Optimization
- Wireless Networks, Mobile Computing