Specific guidelines for these programs and relevant documents and forms are available here.
IIIT-Delhi aims to encourage research and innovation in Information Technology (IT) and allied areas. The objective of the BTech program in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) is to prepare students to undertake careers involving innovation and problem solving using computational techniques and technologies, or to undertake advanced studies for research careers or to take up Entrepreneurship.
In order to give due importance to applied as well as theoretical aspects of computing, the curriculum for the BTech (CSE) program covers most of the foundational aspects of computing sciences, and also develops in students the engineering skills for problem solving using computing sciences.
Most engineering programs start with general courses in Sciences, and then migrate to specialized courses for the disciplines. While these courses are indeed foundational for many engineering disciplines, they can be treated as application domains (as is evidenced from the fact that most sciences and Engineering disciplines heavily use computing now). Hence, the BTech (CSE) program at IIIT-Delhi starts with computing oriented courses first, and allows the possibility of doing science courses later. Besides being better suited for a CSE program, it also enables the possibility of students seeing newer applications and possibilities of using computing in these subjects.
With this approach, the BTech (CSE) program can be divided broadly in two halves. The first half focuses on building the foundations, and is highly structured. The second part is for developing the skills and knowledge of the students in various topics – computing and application domains. This part also provides limited specializations, and different students may follow different paths and take different set of courses in it.
Program Educational Objectives (CSE)
PEO 1: to undertake industry careers involving innovation and problem solving using software and other information technologies
PEO 2: to undertake research careers in Computer Science and allied areas
PEO 3: to contribute to society by becoming a model professional who can communicate effectively and observes ethical behavior
Overall objective of the B.Tech.(CSE) program is to improve the following attributes in students:
- Understanding of theoretical foundations and limits of computing.
- Understanding of computing at different levels of abstraction including circuits and computer architecture, operating systems, algorithms and applications.
- Ability to adapt established models, techniques, algorithms, data structures, etc. for efficiently solving new problems.
- Ability to design, implement, and evaluate computer based system or application to meet the desired needs using modern tools and methodologies.
- Ability to function effectively in teams to accomplish a common goal.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audience.
- Ability to self learn and engage in life-long learning too.
- Understanding and ability to use advanced techniques and tools in different areas of computing.
- Ability to undertake small research tasks and projects.
- Ability to take an idea and develop into a business plan for an entrepreneurial venture (if desired).
- An understanding of the impact of solutions in an economic, societal and environmental context.
As Computer Science (CS) focuses on the science of computing, to give due importance to applied aspects of computing, it is desirable to have a CS-based education program, which also includes application aspects in the curriculum. IIIT-Delhi aims to have such a curriculum for its Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) program, which is CS-based, and which will also develop in students the engineering skills for problem solving using computing sciences.
Some of the salient points of this program are:
- As it is an IT focused program, it “inverts the pyramid” and start with computing oriented courses first, and the general and sciences courses later. Besides being better suited for an IT program, it also enables the possibility of students seeing newer applications and possibilities of relating IT with these subjects.
- Has a highly structured core program (mostly first two years) that focuses on computing fundamentals as well as communication skills.
- After the core program, there is flexibility on the courses the students can choose for developing the skills and knowledge in various topics – computing and application domains. The program allows limited specialization in IT streams or non-IT domains.
- Humanities and social sciences is an integral part of the curriculum.
- Allows motivated students to graduate with a “BTech (Honors)” by doing extra units.
- Has a heavy emphasis on practice with many courses having labs and programming assignments as integral part of the course work.
- Builds research skills through courses like “independent study”, “independent projects” and “undergraduate research”.
For BTech (CSE), the program structure, regulations about the program, including the requirements for graduation and the Honors program, are given here.
Description of various courses is available here.